Saturday, March 3, 2012

Piaffe day 7 ~ Video ~ 2/28

Took me a while to upload this sorry this was a few days ago, but then it rained....ugh, but it's sunny today.


So I decided to try adding the "cluck" back and see what happens.  See if we could get a lift from just a cluck alone....And we did!!!!  Sorry the video is so dark.....but at the moment till the time changes, that is my life during the week.....trying to beat the darkness.  Just one more week till the time changes...ye'haw!


I also experimented with the concept of pressure, tried the long soft request and then the big strong motivating tap to back it up, not only did not really work, i didn't like it and wont do it again.  i marked that part of the video so y'all know what it was.  at the end is a pic of Rose getting her treat grazing on the road. 


I discovered something about her this last week.  about the kind of 'worker' she is, what her work ethic is. I realized i cannot pay her like piece work, ie.....reward for each little tiny thing she does when she does it.  But at the same time, paying her at the end of session is not good either.  Piece meal pay makes her lazy, and a big pay off at the end pisses her off.  But she likes to be paid first, a sample of what is to come for a job well done, then she needs to be paid after making a big effort, maybe once or twice during a session.  "paying" her this way keeps her heart in it, and thinking about working for her reward.  Cha'cote is easy, pay him piece meal after each attempt and he is happy to continue, in fact eager to put forth effort.  If I don't pay him quickly enough....he shuts down and wonders if it is all worth it.   But Rose quickly thinks she put less effort in and get a quicker pay off.  She does like that i make a big fuss over her though, each time she does well, like she is the super star that she is.


And after the last grazing, near dark, we headed in the gate to go to bed, and on her own, she headed back to the piaffe spot.  I just followed along behind to see where she was gonna go...and I was shocked she went right to it and lined up ready to go.  I just pet her for generous offer and took her to bed.  the next two days, wed and thurs she was waiting by the gate for me, i almost felt bad it was raining.  I think she is realizing that she is special and is the only one chosen to go play and graze.

3 comments:

  1. Today Jasper got it with just the cluck! I have been sort of rocking forward on my right foot to ask his far hind to lift, with the cluck and then tickle the leg if no/too little response and then rocking back on my left foot with a cluck followedby a tickle if needed for the near hind. Today I rocked forward, clucked and up went the right hind, then I rocked back, clucked and up went the left hind, I did the right hind again and then released/praised. I repeated the three clucks with good responses again then quit for the day. I'm glad I have the DVD to review because I have needed it. I too wish he showed it with a green horse, but I think we (you and me) are doing pretty good. He did say the leg lifts take the longest - like a few weeks. When do you add in asking for the goat stance? Did Riz mention fitness, I think a minimum amount would be helpful - which I think Jasper has. Thanks for keeping up with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. You might like the 3 Anja Beran dvd's. They are not instructional per se, but are beautiful to watch. Aimee Brimhall told me about her. There are snippets on You Tube of all 3, including really nice piaffe in hand and under saddle. They do have them on Giddyupflix. Ignore my comment removal below, I needed to edit this post but it removed it instead - novice here :) Look for the English versions on You Tube unless you know German.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete