Friday, February 24, 2012

Piaffe Day 5

Well I guess the reverse psychology did some good wednesday.  She came right up to me last night and begged to be chosen to play with.  Her reward…..green grass….no leg lifts!......well…ok I must confess…. we did one leg lift on each leg in the middle of grazing, and i will probably regret it tonight!   I decided I want to review the dvd again to see if I missed anything (I’m sure I did)  As the questions rolling thru my mind right now are…..well really just one question….”how do I know when it is time to move on to the next step?”  I don’t want to over-do something and not keep it progressive if she is ready for the next step….which I know we are not there yet….but I don’t want to miss it because I didn’t get clarification…..that would be dumb.
Another thing I was wondering, and have been for some time, is the difference between negative reinforcement (pleasure and release) and positive reinforcement (reward based training) and wondering if using a clicker might be useful in this situation.  I definitely am going to use the clicker for Cha’cote because he loves clicker training….but I am not so sure it would be as useful with Rose.  I’m sure clicker trainers would tell me it is better for all horses….but….Rose gets kind of…..um…..snobbish when treats are used….she gets less motivated and feels if treats are being handed out….well then just hand them out….no need for her to work for them….Cha’cote on the other hand, just might figure out how to stand on his head for a carrot!!!  However, in my long term, life long equestrian education, I have gone from applying pressure and not understanding how release teaches, to understanding bridging and reward based training, to having it all turned upside down by the notion that a third type exists…..FEEL….I have somewhat stumbled across it previously, but could not find supporting documentation that would explain it to me, and how it differs from pressure/release….all I know is that it exists and that I need to learn more about it….and I think I finally found a resource….I’ll get back to y’all about when I have some sort of answer…..and the reason I must find it, is because I think it will the ultimate way to train rose….everything else seems to always come up a bit short for this highly sensitive, smart as whip horse….who coincidentally gets offended easily as I am too stupid for HER! LOL
I am also going to review Allen Pogue’s dvd regarding the Jambette because we need ‘other’ things to do as well so she doesn’t get bored.  I should be receiving Sylvia Burrage’s dvd on Piaffe any day now, and I also will be beginning Baucher’s jaw flexions, as explained by Jean Claude Racinet…..presented by Lisa Maxwell…..OH CRUD….I have some dvd review’s to do……I guess I know what I am doing this weekend…..TYPING!!! Along w a baby shower, giving a lesson and a trail ride……oh geesh.
Savvy On
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Oh how nice that you go before me! I think all your 'figuring' will shorten my list of questions. Day 1 went well I thought, but only because I had watched your video - reminding me to try 'tapping' in different areas to get a better response. Treats are not usually helpful for Jasper (RBI, in learning situations) so I'll probably stay with release at the slightest try, increasing my expectation of what that is - as he is ready. I did wonder if I should do one cluck and then tap for response or cluck, tap, cluck,tap etc? I'll update again in a few days. Thanks for all your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay, I didn’t get to my computer this weekend. I do truly wish Riz had done at least a short clip with a totally green horse. I first found myself, via NH programming to stick w the original request ‘spot’…..but found out quickly she ‘caught on’ when I hit….THE spot. I found for cha’cote my rbi…..treats help him to stay focused on good things….and then he seems to stay more confident because of the ‘distractor’. But that could be just him…I know when he is full blown rbi…..no cookie will solve that. I wondered about the cluck too as my tongue was getting exhausted it was at the forefront of my mind…..i decided to stop clucking until I have the lift from the tap…then add ONE cluck…..considering I haven’t used voice aids EVER with this horse I think it has little if any meaning to her. I also was thinking it would be easier, for me anyways since she is a big horse where I don’t have to bend as far as you with the mini would…..that I will teach the cluck cue with my hand rather than the stick. This is a bit fun to have a buddy joining in….thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete